Table of Contents
Updated August 2021
As per research conducted by Statista in 2020, “Java is one of the top five most widely used programming languages globally.” It is one of the sought after programming languages as it is platform-independent and object-oriented.
According to Evans Data Corporation, “the worldwide population of professional developers is projected to grow from 23.9 million in 2019 to 28.7 million in 2024.” With the availability of this exorbitant pool of developers, it shouldn’t be difficult to identify the right Java development team, but it can nevertheless be challenging.
This article will discuss the cardinal aspects to consider when choosing a dedicated team for Java development services.
Project requirement analysis
Defining the project goal is the fundamental step in software development. It enables you to create a project roadmap and to allocate resources (both human and financial). Use the following guidelines to analyze your project requirements:
- What does the application intend to do?
- What existing user pain points will the application address?
- What features will it have?
- What is the maintenance and support plan once the initial application is developed?
- What is the monetization model?
Categorizing the application properly
Every software project is unique. Hence, the technical requirements for the team of java developers vary based on the application category. It is imperative to categorize your project before you start hiring dedicated Java developers.
- Java web development – a Java web developer should know how HTML forms work, understand the Server lifecycle, JSP interaction, and JSTL tag library.
- Java for app creation– creating enterprise applicationsrequires experienced Java developers who can design, develop, test, and deploy apps seamlessly.
- Java for game development – hire a creative development team that knows how to use libraries for game creation like LWJGL for 3D or JavaFX for 2D. The team should also be well aware of the available video game engines like LibGDX and JMonkey Engine.
- Java for product development–identify an experienced team with knowledge in project planning, designing the project architecture, developing effective products, quality assurance, testing, migration, porting, and post-development support.
- Java system integration and testing – hire developers who can seamlessly integrate Java applications with the framework of your choice. Ensure that the developers know service-oriented architecture for integration and the ETVXstrategy (Entry Criteria, Task, Validation, and Exit Criteria) for testing.
- Java app up-gradation, migration, and maintenance – hire a team with good knowledge of the latest tools and frameworks for app up-gradation and maintenance. Ensure the developers have in-depth knowledge about risk assessment reporting and risk preparedness when it comes to migration.
Projects across industries use Java for their development. Choose a development team that has prior experience in developing projects in your sector. It will optimize resource utilization and will ensure on-time project completion.
There are numerous Java frameworks for developing mobile apps and intuitive websites. Do your due diligence to ensure you are choosing the right framework for your product. Here is a list of the most popular frameworks.
- Spring – With its concept of dependency injection and aspect-oriented Java programming features, Spring is a sought after framework. It serves vital purposes like securing your web applications, share data through RESTful URL, and communicating with the database.
- Struts– it follows the MVC (Model-View-Controller) model and extends the JSP API. The prime advantages of Struts are time-efficient development and ease of maintenance.
- Hibernate–use this framework form mapping an object-oriented domain model to a relational database. Data independence, dual-layer caching, and transparent persistence make Hibernate a preferred Java framework.
- Apache Wicket–it is component-based, having Java and HTML frameworks. The main features of Apache Wicket are the POJO component model, reusable components, transparent clustering support, multi-tab, and multi-window support.
There are two major engagement models when it comes to hiring. You can choose the one that best fits your company.
- Dedicated team – this should be your choice when the project scope is vastand is not clearly defined upfront.
- Fixed bid model should be your option if your project deadline is a priority and if the project specifications are clear will remain unchanged.
Choosing the right development team requires a stringent selection process. Make a list of skill sets that the development team should possess. You can use the following guidelines for interviewing prospective candidates.
According to Collabera, a pioneer in the IT and professional staffing and services industry, here is a list of basic Java developer skills and advanced skills for Java developers.
Basic Java developer skills:
- JavaServer pages (JSP) and servlets
- Web frameworks (e.g., Struts and Spring)
- Service-oriented architecture/web services (SOAP/REST)
- Markup languages like XML and JSON
- Object-oriented programming (OOP) concepts and patterns
- Abstract classes and interfaces
- File IO and serialization
- Collections: lists, maps, sets
- Access specifiers
- Exceptions (checked and unchecked)
- Java keywords: static, final, volatile, synchronized, transient, this super, etc.
- Java Virtual Machine (JVM) and memory management
- Multithreading and synchronization
- Dependency injection
Advanced skills for Java developers:
- AI and machine learning
- Amazon Web Services
- Hadoop/Big Data
- Mobile technologies (Android or OS)
- Spring Boot/microservices
Choose a team that understands your project goals and can communicate with you regularly. To quote Diana Booher, an American author and communication expert, “good decisions can turn into disasters when communicated poorly.”
Software project development is a rigorous process, hence requiring an expert development team. Choosing the right team will ensure seamless project delivery and optimal utilization of available resources.
Is your business looking for a Java development team?
In the last two decades, Java has increasingly become the preferred platform for Web Application Development Services for Enterprise Level Businesses. Our team of SUN certified Java Developers and SCRUM certified Project Managers bring a combined Java application development expertise of over 15 years to your project.
Want to read some of the 5-Star Reviews of our development services?
Contact us today to get a free consultation for your business.
Stay ahead of the game with our helpful resources
4 digital solutions to address common application performance issues
High network latency, memory leaks, slow page loads, heavy CPU usage, and unresponsive servers are all typical performance issues we’ve experienced at some point when using or accessing digital applications. With how easy they occur in projects across verticals, you might be wondering whether the development teams behind these programs have done enough due diligence prior to the release. But human errors and oversight aren’t always the culprit. The reality is that while developers can strive to develop a fully functioning program with virtually no apparent faults upon delivery, no software is truly error-free. Even the most rigorously tested applications
6 useful tips for creating more robust application lifecycle management
As digital technology becomes the norm, software acquisition is now key to gaining a competitive edge in today’s market. Be it as a value offering tailored to consumers or a productivity tool to run complex processes, custom software undeniably helps companies drive growth and deliver value more efficiently. Just as necessary as having a proprietary application is prescribing a standard procedure to govern and maintain its utility. This is to ensure that your business can develop or adopt the right type of software—one that can fully cater to your business needs while keeping disruption to a minimum across critical milestones.
5 major roadblocks businesses must overcome when transitioning into a new software environment
As the business landscape becomes increasingly saturated, staying ahead of the curve often means embracing disruptive technologies to meet the fickle market demands. In most cases, this entails knowing when to pivot your current strategy to an entirely new solution. But recognizing the importance of digital shift is one thing; implementing the necessary IT upgrade is another. A global survey by Deloitte has found that although 87% of companies manage to identify the impact of digital trends on their industries, only 44% have adequately prepared for the coming disruptions. This vast disconnect between organizational expectations and conditions in the field
Is cloud computing the answer to better software development?
Cloud computing is perhaps not a term often heard in daily conversations, but it is one with a far-reaching impact on our technological needs. From expansive options of online data storage to numerous suites of web-based productivity tools like Google Workspace, nearly everyone has used a cloud-enabled technology. Over the last decade, this high degree of versatility also underpins the rapid cloud uptake among businesses. In fact, one survey has found that 94% of companies have already shifted their computing workloads on cloud platforms to varying extents. Unsurprisingly, the market size for cloud technology continues to grow exponentially. With a